“Sorry, this content is not available in your region.”
If this is the message that you have encountered while trying to open Hotstar in the US, welcome to geo-restrictions.
Most Indians living in the USA want their healthy dose of Indian content. Thanks to good work of apps like Hotstar, Netflix, and unconventional others like TVF and ALT BALAJI, there is no dearth of original Indian content now! However, attempts to watch on-demand and live videos on Hotstar are often met with the above error message.
Hotstar is an on-demand video app that offers you a collection of Bollywood movies, live and recorded sports, and lots of regional TV shows and movies. But Indian expats living in countries like the USA, UK, Saudi Arabia, Canada, Australia, or UAE cannot access Hotstar just yet. There are geo-restriction in place.
The safest and fastest way of watching Hotstar in the USA and outside India is by using a VPN service.
Using a VPN will help you unblock Hotstar on your iPhone, Android, Mac, or Windows computer!
Steps to Unlocking Hotstar outside India
The reason you see the “Content unavailable in your…” error message so often is this: Hotstar automatically detects your device’s location the moment you log in. It does so with the help of the IP address of your device.
If the IP address is not Indian, Hotstar will not show you content and will come up with the above error message. So if you manage to get an Indian IP address, Hotstar will unfurl itself for you.
- Sign up for a VPN provider that has servers in India.
- Set up VPN on your iPhone, iPad, Mac, PC, or Android device. BestVPN.tips recommends using actual VPN apps (for both mobile and computer) over VPN websites and browser extensions.
- Once the VPN is installed successfully, choose an Indian server. This will instantly help you get an Indian IP address.
- Now that you are connected to an Indian IP address, all you need to do is launch the Hotstar app or visit the Hotstar website.
In some cases, you might have you to uninstall and reinstall the Hotstar app before it stars working. In case you still experience trouble, change your phone’s app store location to India and it will work.
Which VPN Should You Choose to Watch Hotstar in the US?
This is pretty much the only important question that you will have to deal with. The VPN that you should choose to stream Hotstar in the US should have the following:
- Decent server base in India
- Support for high-speed online streaming
- Secure encryption
In our tests, we found that ExpressVPN ticks all these four pre-requisites. So if you are really looking for that one-stop VPN solution to watch Hotstar in the US, go ahead and get an ExpressVPN subscription.
Download the Hotstar App on Apple TV or iOS
If you have an Android device, all you need to do is change the region on the Play Store. The process is a tad longer on iOS and Apple TV. But it’s easy nevertheless:
- Sign out of the iTunes account
- Choose the Indian flag at the bottom of the store
- Click ‘Get’ on any free app
- Create a new account, give it a username and a password
- Use an Indian address
- Now log out of the iTunes account through the Settings
- Log back in with the new account you just created
- Now download Hotstar
If you follow these steps right, you will soon have access to Hotstar (India version) on Apple devices like Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV.
Wrapping it Up
A few dollars of investment each month can unwrap some majestic content viewing experience for you. Hotstar is a growing repository of original Indian content in a range of genres. We hope this article helps you get the most out of Hotstar in the US.
*Got more Indian friends in the US? Share this article with them and earn their blessings! *
Subscribe to BestVPN.tips – Expert VPN Reviews, Tips and VPN Tutorials
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox